Celebrate the holiday season with these ridiculously chocolatey, insanely healthy popcorn balls! They’re sinfully dark from the 100% cacao coating, crunchy on the inside with Cinnamon Caramel Gaslamp Popcorn and bursting with a pop of freshness from the pomegranate. Consider it your chocolate fix AND daily antioxidant shot, all in one delicious bite.
Get two free bags of Gaslamp Popcorn! All you have to do is sign up to receive all the latest from a Sloppy Chef in the email box above, and follow me on Pinterest and/or Instagram by 10 am Wednesday, December 7th 2016 to receive your free popcorn!!
Ok, so we’ve all heard about antioxidants and how good they are for us. But why?
What are antioxidants?
Antioxidants are compounds in foods that remove harmful agents in our bodies. By virtue of living, we take in harmful substances on a daily basis. Pollution, smoke, chemicals- all of these introduce what are called “free radicals” into your body. Free radicals fly around, crashing into your cells and causing oxidative damage. Antioxidants absorb these free radicals, preventing them from harming your cells.
Antioxidants reduce inflammation, tissue injury, signs of aging, and DNA damage, as well as risk for heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
And lucky us! We get all the antioxidant power of flavanols in the dark chocolate, vitamin C and anthocyanins in the pomegranate, and vitamin E from the almonds and peanut butter in one single, delicious bite.
To the kitchen my friends! Let’s make a mess!
- 4oz 100% cacao baking chocolate (I used Guittard)
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter from the bottom of the jar
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ medium pomegranate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups Gaslamp Popcorn Company Cinnamon Caramel Popcorn*
- Prepare a muffin tin by spraying generously with non-stick spray.
- Throw the popcorn and almonds into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the chocolate into ¼ slices and toss it into a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Dump in the peanut butter, and stir it all together until nicely melted, about 5 minutes. Don’t stop stirring!
- Add half the chocolate mixture to the popcorn bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Place a large spoonful of chocolatey popcorn into each muffin tin cup.
- Drizzle the remaining chocolate evenly over the top of each 12 popcorn balls.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of pomegranate seeds over the top of each popcorn ball.
- Chill until set, about 1 hour.
- These are best served cold- your fingers may get chocolatey! You can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days, but the popcorn is crispiest the first day.
1. You can substitute any caramel popcorn if you can’t find gaslamp.
2. If using plain popcorn, you will want to use 60-70% cacao chocolate chips rather than 100% cacao baking chocolate.
3. You can also change up the recipe, adding your favorite high fiber cereal instead of popcorn.
*I was not financially compensated for this post. I received a sample for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.*